Tuesday, November 8, 2011
Chicken Binakol Recipe, in Batangas they used the famous Batangas native chicken for their Chicken binakol and was cooked in a bamboo tube to seal in the juices. In the Visayas Region their version of Chicken Binakol is to simmer the chicken with tanglad in the coconut shell itself.
Estimated preparation and cooking time: 1 hour and 40 minutes
1 tablespoon canola oil
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 medium onion, finely chopped
thumb-sized ginger, chopped then squashed
4 pcs chicken legs, cut into chunks
3 pcs young coconut (juice & meat)
peppercorns & salt to taste
1 tablespoon fish sauce (patis)
a bunch of fresh spinach or malunggay leaves
200 gms fresh oyster mushrooms, sliced (Optional)
1. Beat canola oil then saute garlic, onion and ginger.
2. Be careful not to burn ‘em, or you will have a burnt flavour soup.
3. Toss in all the chicken pieces then pour a tablespoon of fish sauce.
4. Saute until the chicken meat releases its own juice without adding water. stir often.
5. Shop open the top shell of the three young coconut and pour all the fresh coconut juice into the chicken pot. let boil for 5 minutes over medium heat.
6. Scrape the young coconut meat and mix it with the chicken.
7. Drop about 7 to 10 pieces of peppercorns.
8. Simmer for another 10 minutes.
9. Put the sliced fresh oyster mushrooms into the simmering soup.
10. Let boil for another 3 minutes.
11. Add in the spinach leaves, and continue to simmer for another minute.
12. Season with salt to taste.